Tuesday, April 19, 2011

3 Ravens Uber Blond

Just a quick review for now, as I'm off to get ready for Boogie. Nuff said. So, 3 Ravens Uber Blond huh? Described as a "Sticke Alt*" pouring into my 500ml straight sided Zywiec glass shows a deep orange-copper body, fizzing from fairly high condition, and needing care thanks to an immense loose off-white head which falls back to a comfy 5-8mm ring.

The aroma consists of semi-sweet malt, dusty pear drops and caramel. The first sip is probably a bit cold for much to show, so I wander off and leave it for 5 minutes or so. The second sip gives a full, bready malt front, yeasty/doughy middle and rounded bitter finish (with a slight carbonic bite - it's pretty fizzy stuff.) The lingering after-taste plays between vanilla caramel and hop bitterness, no alcohol to speak of, which is interesting given it's approaching 7%ABV (bigger than average by Aussie standards). Finishes fairly dry. I always give 3 Ravens a go, given they're just up the road, and I'm glad I did once again. That said, I wouldn't have another pint - it just isn't 'sessionable' by my standards.

*Sticke apparently means 'special' in German, and breweries would provide Sticke versions of their beers to reward their customers with more alcohol and flavour - you had to know to ask though. Alt is a German ale style meaning 'old' as opposed to 'new', which would be lager.

No comments:

Post a Comment