Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Single Batch

Well, as I stated in my write up of 2 brothers Chief, Marzen seems to be the flavour of the day among Australian micro-brewers, and the new Little Creatures Single Batch doesn't buck the trend. Available on tap and in 568ml “Imperial” pint bottles, this one was from the bottle. Apologies in advance for comparing it with the 2 brothers so often, but this is the only other example of the style I've had which excited me (canned Paulaner? Yuck).

Inside the house, the pour looked a mid amber, but outside in the sun, where I “sampled” (enjoyed) it, the glass came alive with flaming coppers and deep reds - a fantastic colour.

The loose head went past beige, adding more yellows to a colour I would attribute to a manilla folder, but sadly didn't hang round long. A deep inhalation started off lager-sulphury, moved through bready malt and into earthy hops before finishing with a slight alcohol burn. The hop aroma is certainly more noticeable than the 2 brothers take on the style, and the earthy, almost mushroom-like aroma came close to Ranga Red Ale, although not nearly as strong.

I was for sure intrigued, and the taste was no let down. Sweet up front, the same earthy hop flavour as aroma in the middle with a short burst of fairly intense (by my modest standards) hop bitterness cut off by just the faintest hint of warming booze. It's funny that this beer is actually lower in alcohol than 2 brothers, but finishes with a more boozy flavour. I'm itching to get my pins down to the Little Creatures dining hall on Brunswick St to give a draught pint a bash, but thoroughly impressed nonetheless.  

No comments:

Post a Comment